Service Selection Board – SSB Interview Procedure
Services Selection Board uses various procedures to test the capabilities of candidates and to check the qualities of a young capable officer in him/her.
- It is carried out in five days :
- The eligible candidates are called through “Call Letters” to appear in 5 days Tests at SSB (Allahabad/Bhopal/Bangalore/Mysore/Coimbatore/Varanasi/Dehradun).
Four Categories of Tests:
- 1. Screening Test
- 2. Psychological Test
- 3. Group Testing Officers (GTO) Test
- 4. Interview
Screening Test (First Day)
- After the individual has filled in certain Forms and also the Bio Data forms known as “Personal Information Questionnaire” (PIQ), the candidates will undergo two types of tests as under.
- 1. Verbal and Non-Verbal Tests.
- 2. Picture Story Writing followed by Discussion of the Stories.
- Once the Screening Test is over, the results are declared within 1 hour of the completion of the test. Those who clear the test are required to stay back for the next 4 days and the remaining persons are dropped back at the Railway Station for their return journey.
- These tests are in four parts as under:
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT) – Commonly known as Picture Story writing.
Word Association Test (WAT)
Situation Reaction Test (SRT)
Self Description Test (SD)
Group Testing Officers (GTO) Test (Third and Fourth day)
- The following tests are conducted in this caregory:
- Group discussion -Held in two sessions; in !st session candidates have the freedom to choose a topic from given topics and in other session GTO decides the topic.
- Group Planning Exercise (sometimes known as Military Planning Exercise)Progressive Group Tasks -candidates have to face various hurdles as a group.As the name suggests its level of difficulty goes on increasing task by task (Total 5 tasks to be completed)
- Half Group Tasks -As mentoined above but only half the number of candidates present in a group
- Individual Obstacles- Complete 10 obstracles in 3 minutes
- Group Obstacles Race(Even called snake race)
- Command Task-A chance to be a commander and commmand your subordinates to accomplish a task
- Final Group Task
Interview: (Held during afternoon/evening hours on 2nd/3rd/4th day)
- Note: Brief details of these tests will be covered subsequently.
Board Meeting or Conference(Fifth day)
- The candidates are required to appear before the complete Board of Examiners comprising of President, Dy President, all the psychologists, all the GTO’s and Technical Officer. After the Board Meeting is over, the final result is declared within ½ an hour.
- Selected candidates are required to stay back for their medical examination (takes about 3 to 5 days) in the Military Hospital near by or at a different place and the remaining candidates are dropped at the Railway Station for their return journey.
- Candidates appearing for the first time for a particular type of entry are paid 2nd class return journey fare from the place of their residence to the place where they have come for the interview.
- Accomodation and messing are free for the entire duration of their stay while under going SSB Tests.
- The Air Force candidates are required to go to a different place for medical examination on the specified date.
- Air Force candidates who had applied for ‘Pilot Entry’ have to first appear in ‘Pilot Aptitude Battery Test (PABT)’. Those who are rejected in P.A.B.T cannot re-appear in this test susequently.
- Service Selection Board – SSB Interview Procedure
- Some useful links
- Official website of Indian Armed Forces
- Indian Army
- Indian Air Force
- Indian Navy
- Union public Service Commission